The Portes Du Soleil
The Portes du Soleil is the world’s largest international area offering some of the world’s most extensive and varied skiing and snowboarding in France and Switzerland. It has 12 ski stations in France including Avoriaz, Les Gets and Chatel in France and and Les Crosets, Champery and Champoussin in Switzerland. It has 197 lifts and 650 kms of skiing and is suitable for complete beginners to advanced skiers and boarders. With many pistes extending above 2000m is regarded as pretty snow sure from end December to April. It is possible to access the Portes du Soleil region from many different ski stations meaning that a week’s skiing is continually varied. For intermediate and better skiers and boarders it is possible to do a complete tour of the circuit either starting from Les Gets or Abondance, providing an amazingly varied and full on days’ skiing. Floodlit night skiing is also available.
Easy access to the main pistes is just 15 minutes' drive from the chalet either from:
Ardent (Montriond) with huge car park right next to the cable up to Linderets, giving direct access to the Avoriaz/ Swiss side.
Fun après ski bars at Ardent and excellent ESF based in Linderets
Access to Morzine via the Super Morzine cable car to Avoriaz/ Swiss side (easy parking with lift access to cable) or the new super quick Pleny lift to access Morzine/ Les Gets side (underground car park right next to it).
There is also La Grande Terche, with its family friendly ski tour circuit which offers excellent intermediate and off piste skiing. It is within 5 minutes’ drive of the house but linked by bus to the other resorts in the network.
There are a plethora of local ski schools offering tuition to adults and children. The main French school is ESF which has a base in all of the ski stations in the Portes du Soleil, offering group and private tuition and ski guiding. There are also a number of British schools. We would recommend ESF at Les Lindarets:
CROSS COUNTRY SKIING
This is also a popular ski touring area and there are 4 ski cross trails offering over 200kms of cross country skiing: 25kms in the Manche Valley offering challenging circuits, the Morzine-Avoriaz Parc Naturel des Cretes de Zorre with 47kms for all abilities, the 10kms circuit at Lac Montriond and the Pleny- Chavannes sector with 18kms of forest runs. Equipment hire and tuition is available
OTHER WINTER ACTIVITIES
There is an extensive array of other outdoor winter activities available locally including:
- Helicopter tours and heli-skiing with daily panoramic flights and heli- skiing in Switzerland.
- Horse drawn sleigh - scenic tours round Morzine starting from 10 Euro a head.
- Husky sledding- guide your own husky team on forest paths.
- Snowshoeing- either on your own or in a guided group on half day outing- equipment provided. A great way to see wildlife off the beaten track.
- Ice climbing – the chance to scale a frozen glacier or waterfall- suitable for for beginners upwards with experienced mountain guides.
- Ice diving- plunge into the freezing waters at Lac Montriond reputedly a fascinating experience- yet to be convinced on that!
- Sledging- although there is plenty of opportunity to sledge in Seytroux there are also dedicated toboggan runs in Morzine and at night there is an amazing run from the Pleny cable car descending 900m!
- Paragliding- Not just a summer activity! Tandem paragliding with skis.